Driver sent him a phone message asking him to rape girl

The ex-boyfriend of the girl who was raped by a lorry driver has testified in court yesterday that the driver sent text messages to his mobile phone to “control him” and told him to “rape the girl”.

The driver, Hang Tuah Jumaat, 40, was charged in the High Court on 6 August for raping a 13-year-old girl, who is now 15.

The incident allegedly happened after she went for a joyride with him and her ex-boyfriend, and the older man got her drunk and took turns with the boy to rape her.

The ex-boyfriend, who was 15 at the time and from the same school as the girl, was sent for reformative training after he pleaded guilty last November to sexually assaulting her.

He appeared in court yesterday dressed in purple prison overalls to testify against Hang Tuah.

In his statement, he said that at the time of the incident, the girl was staying in her grandmother’s home, which is located at the same block as his home. Hang Tuah was his neighbour and has met the girl before.

The older man is said to have seen the couple together on the night of 21 April 2010, and asked them to go for a ride in his lorry. When they reached a road near Kranji Camp, Hang Tuah started preparing cups of vodka mixed with orange juice for everyone.

At one point, he sent a text message to the teenage boy asking him to go and pee. The boy knew that the driver was trying to get him to go away, but did not know what he was up to.

When he returned to the vehicle, he saw Hang Tuah’s body on top of the girl. However, he could not remember whether they were naked or if the lorry driver was sexually assaulting the girl. The lorry was said to be shaking.

Hang Tuah and the girl then moved to the back of the lorry, where he sent another text message to the boy, this time asking him to rape her. However, the boy fell asleep instead. When he woke up, he saw that Hang Tuah was having sex with the girl. The two were said to be naked and the girl struggled, saying “no, no”.

Later on, the teenage boy had sex with the girl after further urging from Hang Tuah.

The lorry driver drove the two back home and the teenage boy saw him giving money to the girl, who was still in her school uniform. The amount was said to be S$5.

Later the next morning, the boy was summoned to the school office where he was arrested by the police.

The discipline master, who questioned the girl on why she had not returned home the night before, also testified yesterday.

The New Paper reported that when he spoke to her in school the morning of 22 April 2010 after the incident, she told him that she did not know who had sex with her, but he told the court that the girl said "someone had sex with her after she became a little unconscious".

The trial for the case continues and the girl will be providing her account of the incident.

Hang Tuah faces nine other charges of sexually assaulting another three underage girls, and eight charges of driving a lorry and truck without a licence. He has pleaded guilty to driving without a licence, but denied sexually assaulting the then 13-year-old.



Leave a comment